Day of Caring becomes WEEK OF CARING!
September 28 - October 4
Things look a lot different in 2020 and so will our annual Day of Caring volunteer event. Due to the coronavirus, we cannot hold our typical food packaging event but want to offer safe ways you can give back to the community. So this year, Day of Caring will become a Week of Caring
from September 28 through October 4! This gives you and your
team options on ways to give back during the week.
We know this year is different for you too, so we hope you can find a
way to participate in one of the following four activities during
Week of Caring!
1. SPONSOR MEALS – your team can provide funding for prepackaged meals. The apple cinnamon oatmeal and bean soup product we have packaged at our food packaging events in the past will be prepackaged. These meals will be distributed to local food pantries and programs for distribution to the clients they serve. The need for food assistance has grown substantially due to the impact of the coronavirus.
The food sponsorship levels for prepackaged meals are as follows:
- 1,000 meals $350
- 2,500 meals $875
- 5,000 meals $1,750
- 10,000 meals $3,500
2. SPONSOR AND ASSEMBLE/PACKAGE – your team can sponsor and assemble items from the list below. Items can be assembled from your location. (Note: A few spots for small teams may be available for bean soup packaging at our United Way Office throughout the week but this is limited based on guidelines for social distancing and gatherings).
- Bean Soup – sponsor and package bean soup at a cost of $3 per package (each package provides 10 meals)
- Literacy Kits – sponsor and assemble literacy packets at a cost of $8 per packet
- School Supply Kits – sponsor and assemble basic school supply kits at a cost of $15 per kit
- Snack Packs – sponsor healthy snack packs at a cost of $5 per pack for Forsyth County students
3. HOLD A DRIVE – your team will collect specific items and then sort, count and deliver the items to United Way for distribution into the community
- Nonperishable Food Drive – food will be donated to local food pantries
- Child-friendly Snack Drive – for student snacks at school or in afterschool programs
- Diaper Drive – to be distributed through local pantries and programs serving mothers and young children
- Masks, Hand Sanitizer and Disinfectant Wipes Drive – for frontline and healthcare workers, teachers, etc.
4. VOLUNTEER AT A LOCAL NON-PROFIT – individuals and small teams (teams of no more than 10 members) will assist local nonprofits with volunteer activities at their location. Your team may be assisting with organizing a storage unit, lawn maintenance, gardening, painting, working in a food pantry or food program, and more.
Another great way everyone can help and from anywhere is by PARTICIPATING IN OUR ON-LINE AUCTION with final bidding taking place on Friday, October 2nd. Watch our social media for details and be ready to bid! There’s something for everyone and everyone can participate in this on-line event to benefit United Way and our work in the community. You don’t want to miss this!! Go to www.32auctions.com/uwfc to see a full list of auction items. More items will be added up until the auction goes live!
Something just for the kids? If you have children who would like to participate in our Week of Caring, here are some ideas for them:
- Write thank you notes for first responders and teachers
- Paint rocks with positive messaging and place them throughout the community during the week
- Chalk your walk with positive messages for your neighborhood
Love our Day of Caring t-shirts? This year the shirts will be available for $10 per shirt with proceeds going to benefit our COVID-19 Relief Fund. To receive a shirt in time for Week of Caring, you must place your order by September 10th. We will continue to accept t-shirt orders after the 10th, however these orders will not be delivered until after Week of Caring. To see the shirt, click here.
A heartfelt thank you goes out to all of this year's Sponsors! Thank you for Living United!