'Tis the Season!
Looking for Opportunities to Give Back During the Holiday Season? Below are a few programs that are spreading Holiday Cheer to those in need throughout Forsyth County.
UNITED WAY OF FORSYTH COUNTY
Give to United Way! Make an impact on the lives of thousands of people - both young and old - right here in our community. Click here to donate.
THE PLACE OF FORSYTH COUNTY
2550 The Place Circle
Cumming, GA 30040
Thanksgiving Food Box Distribution
annual holiday food distribution provides needy residents with food for
the week of Thanksgiving. Families will receive a box of food
appropriate for their family size.
- Want to do a Drive? The Place is currently looking for groups to host food drives for items for the Thanksgiving Distribution. Simply fill out the Food Drive Host Info Form and return it to The Place via email or fax (770.889.5756).
- The Place is also seeking assistance in securing fresh turkeys, hams and/or fresh vegetables the Thanksgiving Boxes. Call 770.887.1098 for more information.
TO REGISTER FOR A THANKSGIVING FOOD BOX
- Registration is from October 1 - November 13 at The Place of Forsyth County, 2550 The Place Circle, Cumming, GA 30040
- Documents required to complete the application:
- Photo ID
- Proof of residency in Forsyth County (Must be a current document such as a utility bill, tags, school verification, mortgage, etc. that is dated within the past 30 days)
- Proof of Food Stamps/Medicaid. The letter is required. (If no Food Stamps: Proof of income for the past 30 days for all household members (4 pay stubs if paid weekly, 2 if paid bi-weekly). Income includes all Employment Money, Cash Received, Food Stamps, SSA, SSI, TANF, Child Support letters, etc.)
- Food will be distributed on Saturday, November 21 from 9:00am - 11:00am for families in Forsyth County.
Each year, The Place offers new and gently used coats, scarves, gloves and hats to Forsyth families in time for the winter chill. Donations can be dropped off at The Place
Monday - Saturday, 9-4pm.
CUMMING FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH COMMUNITY THANKSGIVING MEAL
770 Canton Highway
Cumming, GA 30040
On Thursday, Nov. 26, from 11:00am to 1:00pm, Cumming
First United Methodist Church will host a Community Thanksgiving Meal. All in
the community are invited to attend the free meal at the church's Family Life
Center at 770 Canton Highway in Cumming.
To request home delivery of
Thanksgiving meals, please contact CFUMC at 770-887-2900.
Volunteers to help
prepare and serve the meal are welcomed.
For more information, please visit their website.
HOLIDAY HOUSE 2015
The Place of Forsyth County
2550 The Place Circle
Cumming, GA 30040
Each year in Forsyth County, hundreds of parents struggle to make the holidays special for their families. Join us this year as we invite the community to support these families! This year, the program formate will change to a Holiday House where parents can shop for gifts for their children. We hope to provide assistance to families with the generous support of our nonprofit, school, business and faith communities.
- Donations of new toys with the exception of good condition used bicycles may be dropped off at Freedom Tabernacle Church (2160 Freedom Parkway, Cumming, GA 30041)
- Drop off Dates are Monday, November 30 - Thursday, December 3 from 9:00am-3:00pm
- Please click here for a wish list of items
- Volunteers will be needed at Freedom Tabernacle Church for room setup, deocrating, gift sorting, registration, shopping guides, trasnportation assistance and cleanup. For a complete volunteer schedule and volunteer registration information, please click here.
TO REGISTER FOR HOLIDAY HOUSE ASSISTANCE:
- WHO: Parents may sign up children who are 18 or younger (high school aged children must be enrolled in school). They will need to contact their child's school social worker for more information. If parents have preschool aged children, please refer to the sign-up dates and required documentation below.
- Families will need to provide documentation that they receive or are at the income level to qualify for Medicaid or Food Stamps. A current Medicaid/Food Stamps letter or pay stubs may be used for documentation. A donation of $3 per child is appreciated to help establish a fund to assist with community needs.
- WHEN: Families will need to bring their income documentation in order to sign up. Registration dates are below.
- October 15 from 1pm-4pm at Christ the King Lutheran Church (1125 Bettis Tribble Gap Road, Cumming, GA 30040)
- October 19 from 4pm-7pm at The Catholic Church of the Good Shepherd (3740 Holtzclaw Road, Cummng, GA 30041)
- October 27 from 4pm-7pm at The Vine Community Church (4655 Bethelview Road, Cumming, GA 30040)
- Novermber 4 from 9am-Noon at Freedom Tabernacle Church (2160 Freedom Parkway, Cumming, GA 30041)
- November 7 from 9am-Noon at the Almon C. Hill Educational Center (136 Elm Street, Cumming, GA 30040)
WHERE: Parents may shop at Holiday House at Freedom Tabernacle Church at an assigned date and time in December. Children three and older will not be allowed in the shopping area, so parents will need to make childcare arrangements if their children cannot play in the supervised child holiday crafts and activity area while their parents shop for gifts.
- Shopping Dates:
- Friday, December 4 from 9:00am-7:00pm
- Saturday, December 5 from 8:00am-2:00pm
- Friday, December 11 from 9:00am-7:00pm
- Saturday, December 12 from 8:00am-2:00pm
KARE for KIDS (Dawson County Residents)
KARE for KIDS will be accepting applications for assistance for the 2015 Holiday season at the Campground Center, 671 Lumpkin Campground Rd, Suite 110, Dawsonville, GA 30534 (Please park on the side of the building facing the outlet mall and enter through the upstairs door)
To donate or sponsor a child this Holiday season, contact KARE for KIDS at 706.216.5273 or send them an email.
TO REGISTER FOR HOLIDAY ASSISTANCE:
- You must live full-time in Dawson County along with your child(ren) that you are seeking assistance for
- If your child(ren) is school aged, they must attend Dawson County schools
- Your child(ren) must be school age or younger
- You must NOT receive assistance from any other agency for this holiday season
- You Must Bring Each of the Following to Qualify for Assistance:
- GA driveres license or state issued picture ID
- Proof of residency (i.e. utility bill)
- School report card (if child(ren) is of school age) or birth certificate
- Income verification for last 2 months for all persons employed in the household
- Court documents if you are the guardian of the child(ren)
- You Will Need To Know:
- Your child(ren)'s exact clothes and shoe sizes
- Specific clothing needs for your child(ren)
- 3 specific items that your child(ren) would like for Christmas
- Your child(ren)'s homeroom teacher (if chid is in school)
Applications for Assistance Will be Accepted on the Following Dates:
- Monday, October 12 6:00-8:30pm
- Saturday, October 17 9:00-11:30am
- Monday October 19 6:00-8:30pm
- Tuesday, October 27 6:00-8:30pm
- Saturday, October 31 9:00-11:30am
- Monday, November 2 6:00-8:30pm Community Resource Fair
- Saturday, November 7 9:00-11:30am
- Monday, November 9 6:00-8:30pm
- Saturday, November 14 9:00-11:30am